top of page
970x250-05052026.jpg
News image template
No Writer
May 18
Woman struck by van in hit-and-run after 'road rage' incident in Alyth

The driver of the small white vehicle collided with the woman in the lower car park of Alyth Golf Club at around 6.20pm on Friday. The woman was treated by ambulance paramedics at the scene. Police Scotland said enquiries had established the collision occurred following a confrontation and reported road rage incident on the B954 near the town. Constable Ronan Mackay, of Blairgowrie Police Station, is urging anyone who witnessed the incident to get in touch. Read more from Sky News:Fighter jet collision at air showNine UK citizens exposed to hantavirus returning to Britain He added: "We would also ask that people check any private CCTV or dashcam footage that may have captured the white van in the Alyth area. "I am also appealing to a man who was within the Alyth Golf Club car park at the time to come forward, as he may have information which could assist our investigation."

News image template
No Writer
May 15
Harvey Weinstein's rape retrial ends in mistrial after jury fails to reach verdict

A majority-male jury had been weighing whether Weinstein, now 74, raped former aspiring actor Jessica Mann, now aged 40, in 2013 in a New York hotel. But in a note to Judge Curtis Farber, the jury said it could not reach a unanimous decision. Weinstein had pleaded not guilty to the charge of rape in the third degree, and he has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex. The mistrial comes nearly a year after a different New York jury failed to reach a verdict on a charge tied to Ms Mann's allegations, which she recounted across five days in court. Weinstein's lawyers ​have argued that Ms Mann made up the rape allegation after regretting that her consensual romance with Weinstein failed to advance her film career. While Weinstein remains behind bars, the mistrial leaves the New York rape charge in limbo after three trials. Read more from Sky News:New Ebola outbreak in Congo kills 65CIA chief visits Cuba Judge Farber said outside the presence of the jury that it was clear they were "hopelessly deadlocked" and that there was no reason to keep them any longer. He told lawyers for both sides to return for a hearing in June. It was not immediately clear whether prosecutors would seek ​to try the case for a fourth time. Weinstein appeared expressionless as court officers ushered him out in his wheelchair. In a statement, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg said his office would "consider our next steps in consultation with Ms Mann". "Her perseverance and bravery are inspiring to the members of my office, and more importantly, to survivors everywhere," Mr Bragg said. At his ‌first ⁠trial in New York in 2020, Weinstein was convicted of raping Ms Mann and assaulting onetime production assistant Miriam Haley in 2006. But the state's highest court overturned the conviction and Weinstein's 23-year prison sentence after concluding he did not get a fair trial. A Manhattan jury then convicted Weinstein of sexually abusing Ms Haley at a trial in June 2025, but found him ​not guilty of assaulting former ​model Kaja Sokola. The same jury were ⁠deadlocked on the third-degree rape charge relating to Ms Mann, and Justice Curtis Farber declared a mistrial on that count. That paved the way for this year's retrial. Weinstein ​was convicted of rape in California in 2022 and is serving ​a 16-year prison sentence. He is appealing that conviction and sentence. The Miramax studio co-founder will face up to 25 years in prison when he is ​sentenced for abusing Ms Haley.

News image template
No Writer
May 18
Burnham’s '55% chance' of losing Makerfield and throwing Labour into chaos

Andy Burnham says Britain needs a "circuit breaker for politics" as he plots his return to Westminster. But with Labour sources putting his chances of success in the Makerfield by-election at less than 50:50, will his plan to stand for PM unravel before it's begun? Sam and Anne unpack the political chaos consuming Labour, including the growing speculation about Sir Keir Starmer's exit timetable, and Wes Streeting reigniting the row over rejoining the EU. Will voters see Burnham as Labour's saviour or a man who pushes the party deeper into crisis? And does the reopening of the Brexit wars play into Reform UK's hands?

News image template
No Writer
May 18
PGA Championship: England's Aaron Rai storms to maiden major with three-shot win over Jon Rahm at Aronimink Golf Club

Rai went into the final round two strokes back and was three behind with 10 holes to play, before a 40-foot eagle at the par-five ninth sparked a scoring burst that pushed him up a congested leaderboard. The world No 44 posted two birdies in a three-hole stretch from the 11th and added back-to-back gains from the 16th, including a sensational 70-foot putt at the par-three 17th, to grab control and a three-shot cushion. PGA Championship: Final round as it happenedFinal PGA Championship leaderboard [external]When are the majors? Key dates in 2026Get Sky Sports or stream golf with no contract A two-putt par at the last closed a final-round 65 and saw him end the week on nine under, with Rai ending a streak of 10 consecutive American winners at the PGA Championship and becoming the first English winner since Jim Barnes in 1919. Jon Rahm finished tied-second with overnight leader Alex Smalley as he chased the third leg of the career Grand Slam, while two-time PGA champion Justin Thomas shared fourth spot alongside Ludvig Aberg and Germany's Matti Schmid. Rory McIlroy's bid for back-to-back major titles ended five strokes back in tied-seventh with Xander Schauffele and Cameron Smith, while Kurt Kitayama jumped inside the top-10 with a round-of-the-day 63 and Scottie Scheffler ended his title defence on two under after a final-round 69. How Rai edged major thriller at Aronimink Some 30 players were within five of the lead heading into the final round, with Rahm making the first move after posting a birdie-birdie start to pull level with Smalley on six under. Rahm lost ground after bogeying the next, where Smalley held a 25-footer to scramble a par and remain ahead, only for a three-shot swing at the sixth seeing Smalley make double-bogey and Schmid to hole from 20 feet and card a third birdie in five holes. Rai - playing two groups behind the leaders - was one back after an opening-hole birdie but found himself two behind after bogeys at the sixth and eighth, before his long-range eagle at the ninth pulled him back tied-second and within one of Schmid. The German started his back nine with a bogey to hand the lead to Rai, who made a close-range birdie at the 11th and got up and down from the greenside bunker to pick up a shot at the drivable par-four 13th. Schmid birdied the same hole to halve Rai's advantage but fell three back when the Wolverhampton golfer took control of the tournament, two-putting from 20 feet to birdie the par-five 16th and holing his longest putt of the week at the next to leave victory all but confirmed. Rai then found the green in regulation at the par-four last and two-putted for a winning par, with his victory marking the first time in the modern era that the opening two men's majors of the year have been won by European players. "It [winning] is very surreal," Rai said. "It has been a bit of a frustrating season so to be stood here is definitely outside of my wildest imagination. I think it is really good consistency over the last few weeks with practice. My body feels great and I have really enjoyed the course this week." Rahm mixed four birdies with two bogey in a final-round 68 to end the week on six under, with Smalley finding an eagle-three at the 16th and cancelling out a bogey at the next with a 20-foot birdie at the last to also share second. Scheffler and McIlroy fall short at Aronimink McIlroy boosted his hopes of a third PGA Championship victory when he followed a 10-footer to save par at the first by birdieing the second, getting him within two, only to close out the rest of his front nine in pars. The world No 2 failed to capitalise on a 379-yard tee shot into the par-five ninth and saw his par streak ended with a bogey at the driveable 13th, where he hit a wayward three-wood into the rough and failed to find the green with his second. McIlroy kept his slim hopes alive by rolling in a 25-foot birdie at the next but was unable to take advantage of the 16th, leaving him level-par for the week on the par-fives, with a tied-seventh finish equalling his best finish at the PGA Championship since his 2014 victory. Scheffler went into the final day five back and outside the top-20 as he chased a fifth major in as many seasons, but the world No 1 - who can complete the career Grand Slam at the US Open next month - struggled on the greens throughout the week. "When I look back on a week like this, I feel I've had a really good year on the greens and to have a disappointing week on the greens at a major is a tough pill to swallow," Scheffler admitted to Sky Sports, having missed six putts from inside five feet during the week. What's next? The PGA Tour heads to Texas for The CJ Cup Byron Nelson at TPC Craig Ranch, where Scheffler returns as defending champion. Early coverage begins on Thursday from 12.45pm on Sky Sports+ and 5pm on Sky Sports Golf. The DP World Tour is in Belgium for the Soudal Open, while the next men's major is the US Open at Shinnecock Hills from June 18-21, with both also live on Sky Sports Golf. Get Sky Sports or stream with no contract.

News image template
No Writer
May 18
'Heartbroken' mother of Ben Needham says UK police have stopped investigating why toddler went missing

Ben was 21 months old when she last saw him on 24 July, 1991. He was staying at his grandparents' farmhouse in Iraklis on the Greek island of Kos when he vanished. A decade ago a British detective said he believed that the child had died as a result of an accident involving "heavy machinery". Now his mother Kerry Needham says has been left "heartbroken and sobbing" because she has been told that South Yorkshire Police's major crimes unit would no longer be responsible for investigating Ben's case. "This is devastating news," she has told the Daily Mirror. "The case will now fall solely to the Greek authorities. "If this happens, I feel like I may as well give up the search for Ben because the Greek police have only ever wanted this case to go away." The South Yorkshire force has told Sky News it is continuing to "allocate resource" to Ben's case in the form of a family liaison officer and a detective acting as a "single point of contact for potential lines of enquiry". "The Greek authorities have full primacy over the investigation due to the fact Ben went missing on Kos," it added. "Our role here in South Yorkshire is to act as a conduit between the UK, Greece and any other law enforcement agencies in a bid to secure answers. "We have written to Kerry Needham to explain this position and offered a meeting to address any concern." Detectives from South Yorkshire Police carried out a three-week search of Kos in 2016, when Detective Inspector Jon Cousins said he believed Ben "died as a result of an accident near to the farmhouse in Iraklis where he was last seen playing". This week the force told the Daily Mirror that "if someone comes forward with information in England, we will continue to gather relevant evidence and share this with Greece via Interpol". But Ms Needham said this "feels like a devastating step backwards". "For nearly 35 years, we have fought every single day to keep Ben's case alive, to search for answers, and to make sure he is never forgotten," she told the newspaper. "We believe there are still avenues to explore." See more from Sky News:Search for bodies of four Italians in Maldives continuesHas Brexit really been a 'catastrophic mistake' for UK? She has written to Sir Keir Starmer to ask for the government's support in the search for her son.

News image template
No Writer
May 15
Casting for new James Bond under way

Auditions have been taking place in the past few weeks, according to entertainment business outlet Variety, meaning fans' five-year wait for a new film could end soon. Amazon would not comment on whether auditions had started, and in a statement, said it does not "plan to comment on specific details during the casting process". The last James Bond film, No Time to Die, was released in 2021. The next film, the first since Amazon took creative control of the franchise, will be directed by Denis Villeneuve, whose credits include Dune, Blade Runner 2049 and Sicario. Amy Pascal and David Heyman will be producing via Pascal Pictures and Heyday Films, respectively, while the script is being written by Steven Knight. Amazon said the creative team behind the next film had been taking shape over the past several months. Speculation about who will star as the new 007 has been rife, with Variety reporting that famous casting director Nina Gold is leading the hunt. She has worked on Game of Thrones, The Crown, and five films in the Star Wars franchise. Read more from Sky News:Teenage e-bike rider jailed for killing great-grandmotherCIA chief visits Cuba amid US demands Who are the bookmakers' favourites? Callum Turner - The 36-year-old actor is the favourite for the role. He has previously starred in Fantastic Beasts, Masters of the Air and The Capture. He's also engaged to pop superstar Dua Lipa. Harris Dickinson - Recognised for his roles in Iron Claw, Triangle of Sadness and The King's Man, could this 29-year-old actor, writer and director be the next Bond? Aaron Taylor-Johnson - Originally soaring to fame in Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, the 35-year-old has since starred in 28 Years Later, Kick-Ass and Bullet Train. Jacob Elordi - Shooting to global fame in Euphoria, the 28-year-old made headlines for his roles in Saltburn and the new Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein films. Henry Ashton - Known for his roles in My Lady Jane and A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, Ashton only pivoted to acting in his late 20s, making speculation around him all the more impressive. Theo James - A 41-year-old actor and producer, he is famous for his roles in The White Lotus, Allegiant and The Gentlemen. Amazon MGM Studios announced in February 2025 that it would develop the next chapter of the Bond franchise.

News image template
No Writer
May 15
Why winning Makerfield by-election may not be so easy for Burnham

The constituency of Makerfield has been a Labour safe seat for generations, but in the May elections, Reform UK won nearly every seat that was up for grabs at the local council. So how much of a gamble is it for Andy Burnham to try to stage a Commons return here? In his favour is his personal popularity in Greater Manchester and the fact he grew up in the area. Against him is the momentum of Reform and the fact that Makerfield hasn't benefitted from some of Burnham's key policies as mayor of the city. To discuss his chances, Niall speaks to Rob Ford, professor of political science at the University of Manchester. Have you got a question for Niall? Email the show - why@sky.uk

News image template
No Writer
May 18
Jose Mourinho: Real Madrid agree deal for ex-Man Utd boss to return as head coach on two-year deal

Real Madrid have elected to bring Mourinho back to the Santiago Bernabeu 13 years after his first spell in the Spanish capital. His contract will include an option to extend by a further year. An announcement is expected after Real's final game of the season against Athletic Club on Sunday. Mourinho is then set to be unveiled in Madrid next week. Transfer Centre LIVE!Got Sky? Watch Premier League games LIVE on your phone📱Not got Sky? Get Sky Sports or stream with no contract on NOW📺Choose the Sky Sports push notifications you want! 🔔 Mourinho finished the season with Benfica on Saturday, beating Estoril 3-1 to finish third in Liga Portugal in an unbeaten league campaign. Sky Sports News understands Mourinho will take four coaches with him from Benfica to the Bernabeu. More to follow…This is a breaking news story that is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh this page for the latest updates.Sky Sports brings you live updates as they happen. Get breaking sports news, analysis, exclusive interviews, replays and highlights.Sky Sports is your trusted source for breaking sports news headlines and live updates. Watch live coverage of your favourite sports: Football, F1, Boxing, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, NFL, Darts, Netball and get the latest transfers news, results, scores and more.Visit skysports.com or the Sky Sports App for all the breaking sports news headlines. You can receive push notifications from the Sky Sports app for the latest news from your favourite sports, you can follow @SkySportsNews on X to get the latest updates and you can also now follow Sky Sports' WhatsApp channel.

bottom of page