Copyright: Pavelk

Two Isle of Wight war memorials have been added to an Historic England list for protection.

Cowes and Wootton war memorials have been added to the list by Historic England as part of a campaign to protect 2.500 memorials by the end of the 2018, celebrating the centenary of the end of the First World War.

wootton-war-memorialWootton and District War Memorial was designed by John H P Fulford and unveiled on 11 November 1935. The memorial was re-located to its current location within the churchyard of the church in 1948 and at the same time, the names of the 17 fallen from the Second World War were added to the plinth. A single name from Northern Ireland was added after 1978. The memorial was unveiled in its new location on Sunday 14 November 1948 by Major General the Lord Ruthven and was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Portsmouth.

It is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;

* Architectural interest: a well-carved example of a memorial cross in Portland stone;

* Group value: with the Church of St Edmund (Grade II*).

Cowes War Memorial, situated in Northwood Park, was designed by Mr Andrew Foster MBEcowes-war-memorial and built by Messrs J Ball and Son of Cowes. A service of dedication was conducted by the Vicar of Holy Trinity Church on 30 March 1921. It consisted of a column, square on plan, of dressed Cornish granite standing c4m tall and with a carved Union Flag draped over the top, rising from a four-stepped stone base and was enclosed by a metal rail fence. A bronze plaque was attached to each face of the column. After suffering bomb damage during an air-raid on the night of 4/5 May 1942, in which the memorial’s bronze plaques were lost, the memorial was relocated to Northwood Park where it was reinstated in its partially demolished state and re-dedicated on 11 November 1951.

The memorial now commemorates not only those local servicemen who died during the First World War, but also 73 men and one woman who died in the Second World War. A re-dedication service was held on 14 November 2010 following the addition of the two stone plaques recording the commemorated names. This work was supported by War Memorials Trust.

It is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

* Group value: with Northwood House (Grade II*) and the former stable range of Northwood House (Grade II).