The Isle of Wight Coroner has concluded that six year old East Cowes girl, Keziah Flux-Edmonds, was ‘unlawfully killed’ by her father Darren Flux-Edmonds, who also killed himself.

Report by Jamie White

An inquest has taken place in Newport today (Tuesday) into the deaths of the six year old and her 44 year old father.

Keziah Flux-Edmonds

Coroner Caroline Summary told how unemployed Darren Flux-Edmonds had been staying with his mother, June Flux, in Gunville following the breakdown of his 12-year marriage to Keziah’s mother, Nikki.

During their separation, the inquest heard Darren saw his daughter daily and even had skype phone calls with her in the evening.

The inquest also heard Darren had access to Nikki’s Facebook and was convinced she was having an affair, which was denied by her.

On the morning of 1 June, he returned to the family home in Cromwell Avenue in East Cowes to look after Keziah while Nikki went to work, around 9am. She had let him borrow her car overnight.

He had left his wallet at his mother’s home and hadn’t eaten breakfast, which was deemed as out of the ordinary. He was described as looking ‘unwell’ that morning by Nikki.

Later that morning, Nikki received a chilling text, which included the words ‘I’ll leave you with nothing but memories’. She frantically called police who went to Gunville and to East Cowes.

They found Darren hanging from the loft hatch and Keziah unconscious, laying on the bed alongside the lifeless bodies of her two dogs at the home in Cromwell Avenue. They were all wet. A bath full of cold water was also discovered. A post mortem found Keziah and the dogs had drowned.

It emerged the text message Darren sent to Nikki was written using a predictive voice recording that morning or the night before, as Darren suffered from dyslexia.

The inquest was told Darren had previously had nightmares about killing his wife and daughter, but had said he would never harm them as he loved them dearly.

Darren had a history of depression – the inquest heard – and had been listed as a vulnerable person by Hampshire Constabulary. He had previously attempted to take his own life by climbing a tree, taking tablets and falling asleep with hope of falling out of the tree.

He had received three sessions with NHS Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, Darren White. The Coroner said she was satisfied that the NHS Mental Health support team acted properly and professionally at all times, particularly praising Mr White.

Summarising, the Coroner praised the courageous and brave efforts of distraught police officers who arrived at the scene and did all they could to save Keziah and protect Nikki from seeing what had happened, the ambulance service and St Mary’s Hospital in trying to save Keziah’s life.

The Coroner also said Nikki and June had conducted themselves with great dignity and must not blame themselves for what happened.

The Coroner added that the horrific circumstances surrounding the death of Keziah were ‘totally unforeseeable’, with incidents like this an ‘extremely rare occurrence’.

A Serious Case Review Report is due later this week.

*UPDATED 10.43am (14 Dec)

*The Isle of Wight Council has said a Serious Case Review Report won’t be available until next year.

Related stories: