Image: Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme- UK strandings

A piece of twine found in the stomach of a dolphin that died on an Isle of Wight beach this month (January), however it was “incidental” and the animal had developed a bacterial infection, according to investigators from the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme.

A white-beaked female dolphin stranded on the Island’s south coast on 4 January. She was refloated by members of the public, however she was later seen butting a harbour wall. A vet advised that the dolphin should be put to sleep.

As Isle of Wight Radio reported, the dolphin had been spotted off the coast of Shanklin but later died. 

It is believed the animal, which was 2.48 metres long, had come from a pod which lives in Lyme Bay.

Thanking those who had tried to help, including the Isle of Wight Zoo and the British Divers Marine Life Rescue, the Cetacean Strandings Investigation programme said it would seek photo records to try to match the dolphin to those seen off the coast of Dorset and Devon.

3. Images by Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme…

2. Images by Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme…

Image: Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme- UK strandings

1. Images by Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme…

Image: Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme- UK strandings

Comments

comments