Registrations are now officially open for Walk The Wight 2018.
The countdown has started to the Isle of Wight’s largest fundraising event; Earl Mountbatten Hospice’s Walk the Wight, which is being held on Sunday 13 May 2018.
Founded by Bill Bradley and Frank Stevens in 1991, what started out as a small team-building exercise for Morey’s staff has grown to regularly attract more than 8,000 participants. With a choice of five walks and distances, people of all ages and abilities can take part, making this a real community event. Every year, people who Walk the Wight raise a phenomenal amount of money, supporting the Island’s only hospice to continue its services for Islanders and their families when they need it most, wherever they are on the Island.
Earl Mountbatten Hospice’s Walk the Wight is an opportunity for many people to walk in memory of someone who has died, wherever that death may have taken place. By way of acknowledging this and thanking participants for their support, everyone who registers for Walk the Wight 2018 will receive a packet of sunflower seeds in their walker pack to plant in memory of someone close to them who has died.
Jax Jones, Major Events Fundraiser and Walk the Wight organiser, said: “If you haven’t yet Walked the Wight, be part of it this year and create a memory you will cherish forever. The atmosphere on the day is incredible; thousands of people walking together with a common purpose, it’s truly awe-inspiring!”
Nigel Hartley, Chief Executive, said: “Every year, we must raise over £7m to provide our services for free to those we currently support. But there are still thousands of Islanders living with life threatening illnesses who only get access to our services right at the end of their lives. Our mission is to make sure every Islander is supported through death and bereavement in the most appropriate way possible. Which is why event’s like Walk the Wight are so important in helping us to achieve this goal. We are very grateful to everyone who supports this event”
Sign up for Earl Mountbatten Hospice’s Walk the Wight by visiting www.iwhospice.org.
Every registered walker will receive the iconic Isle of Wight shaped Walk the Wight medal when they cross the finish line. You can sign up to receive one of three packs:
- Pay 25 Pack (pay £25 and receive a walker pack and Walk the Wight 2018 T-shirt, £18 goes direct to the hospice)
- Pledge Pack (commit to raise £100 and receive a free Walk the Wight 2018 T-Shirt and a walker pack)
- Standard Pack (receive a free walker pack, but please raise as much as you can to support the hospice)
And don’t forget to sign up your four legged friend! All dogs registered to take part will receive their own Dogs Walk the Wight medal when they cross the finish line:
- NEW for 2018! Dog’s Pay 10 pack (pay £10 and receive a dog’s walker pack and a limited edition Walk the Wight 2018 Doggy Bandana for your dog to wear round their collar or on their lead. Includes a £5 donation to the hospice)
- Standard Dog’s pack (receive a free dog’s walker pack, but please raise as much as you can to support the hospice)
All packs include an official sponsorship form.