Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted he is an example on and off the pitch – with the footballer expressing confidence that he will be cleared of an allegation of rape.
Speaking publicly for the first time since Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit claiming he raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room nine years ago, the Juventus forward said the truth will come out.
The 33-year-old was speaking at a news conference at Old Trafford the day before the Italian team take on his former club, Manchester United.
He told reporters: I’m not going to lie in this situation. I’m very happy. My lawyers, they are confident and of course I am, too.
The most important, is I enjoy the football, I enjoy my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life.
Of course, the truth is always coming in the first position.
Ronaldo’s lawyer, Peter S. Christiansen, declined to comment after the news conference, as did Ms Mayorga’s legal team.
The five-time world player of the year had previously confronted the allegations in an Instagram video on 3 October, hours after the lawsuit was filed.
At the time, he described the claims as fake, fake news.
Asked about his status as a role model on Monday, Ronaldo said: I know I am an example. I know, 100%. On the pitch and outside the pitch.
So I am always smiling, I am a happy man. I’m blessed that I play in a fantastic club, I have a fantastic family, I have four kids, I am healthy. I have everything.
So the rest, it doesn’t interfere on me.
Mr Christiansen has said Ms Mayorga claims are complete fabrications and the encounter in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse bedroom was consensual.
He issued a statement on 10 October denying wrongdoing by his client.
Ronaldo joined Juventus from Real Madrid in July 2018.
He has scored five goals in nine matches for the Italian champions, and two in three matches since he was accused of rape.
(c) Sky News 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is an ‘example’ amid rape allegation