Sandown & Shanklin returned to league action this week, making the short trip to face Gosport & Fareham RFC 2nd in the Hampshire Premier.

The Hurricanes got off to the better start thanks to fly-half Josh Wetherick who slid in for the first score of the game, following strong carries from Darren Carew and Jack Wedderkop. Tom Borrer converted and Sandown & Shanklin were in an early 0 – 7 lead.

The home side picked themselves up, however. A penalty attempt was kicked and the hosts were on the scoreboard, 3 – 7.

When Sandown & Shanklin eventually managed to string a number of phases and carries together the ball was passed down the line to Owen Williams. He drew the final defender, allowing Zak Chiverton to dot down for the Hurricanes second try of the game.

Tom Borrer’s conversion dropped just short, but the lead was extended 3 – 12 before the break.

Following the halftime break, some great handling skills eventually got the ball to Zak Chiverton’s who dotted down under the posts for his second score. The try was converted, 3 – 19.

After Ben Sanderson broke the line, some smart offloading by the away side soon found the returning Sam Branston. He sprinted away and scored under the posts to complete the Sandown double salvo. Despite Borrer missing only his second conversion, the Hurricanes were now in a commanding position, 3 – 24.

With Sandown & Shanklin in the ascendancy, fullback and man of the match, Ben Sanderson, broke the line and dashed for the Hurricanes fifth try of the game, converted by Borrer, 3 – 31.

The home side restarted and as the ball was spun wide to Luke Wedderkop, his strong running took the Hurricanes up into the Gosport half again. A penalty was kicked into touch, and the following line out was securely set up again by the hard-working Hurricanes forwards and marched over the try line for, man of the match Zak Chiverton’s, hat-trick. Again, Borrer’s consistency from the tee pushed the score to 3 – 38.

The scoring didn’t stop there for the Hurricanes, with space out wide, the Sandown back line got the ball wide to winger Owen Williams, who then out sprinted the defence from forty metres for his first score. The try was converted with the Hurricanes then breaking the 40-point mark, 3 – 45.

Owen then followed up moments later with his second score of the game, to complete the scoring and the Hurricanes 8th try of the game. Borrer converted for a final 3 – 52 score line.

Next Saturday (8) the Hurricanes will play Alresford RFC. The fixture is scheduled to be at home, however, the Club is working to reverse the fixture, due to a function at the Clubhouse.