Pic: Friends of Freshwater Fire Station

Firefighters have been called to reports of a house fire in Shalfleet.

Two appliances from Newport are in attendance on Cranmore Avenue after being called 10.45am. Two further appliances have also been called to the scene.

The fire service said a fire started in a chimney, but has spread to other areas.

Pic: Friends of Freshwater Fire Station
Pic: Friends of Freshwater Fire Station

*UPDATED

*Posting on Facebook, Friends of Freshwater Fire Station wrote:

“Freshwater fire crew working with crews from Newport and East Cowes at a fire in Cranmore today (Mon).

Fire is believed to have started due to a build up of deposits in the chimney and then spread to an upstairs bedroom. Crews used Cobra, BA, Hosereel Jets and Chimney Gear to contain and extinguish the fire. Crews remain on scene damping down and making up.

“Thank you to The British Red Cross for providing refreshments and support on scene.”

**UPDATED 2.05pm

** Dampening down in now in progress and crews will remain on scene to conduct thermal imaging inspections of the chimney.

Volunteers from Red Cross are also in attendance to provide support to the residents affected.