A 24-year-old man arrested over the disappearance of Hull student Libby Squire remains under investigation, say police.

Humberside Police had been given more time to question the man who they arrested on Wednesday evening on suspicion of abduction.

Police had applied for extra time on Friday until just after 9pm on Saturday but they were granted another 24 hours to hold him until 9pm on Sunday.

Speaking after Sunday’s deadline, Detective Superintendent Matt Hutchinson said: We are continuing to investigate the disappearance of Libby Squire and a 24-year-old man remains under investigation.

Our priority remains to find Libby and support her family at this incredibly distressing time.

As the search continued, members of the Hull community joined Libby’s parents Russ and Lisa Squire for a vigil at Hull Community Church on Sunday.

Libby was reported missing more than a week ago and police along with volunteers have been searching for her since.

The man was arrested at a house in Raglan Street about half a mile from Libby’s home and police officers were seen removing boxes from a property in the street on Sunday.

Police have unveiled digital missing posters in Hull city centre featuring Libby and an appeal for information.

Detectives said they were still treating her disappearance as a missing persons investigation.

Det Supt Hutchinson said: We are still treating Libby’s disappearance as a missing persons inquiry. I have said previously that we are keeping an open mind as to her whereabouts and that is still very much the case.

Our number one priority is to find Libby Squire and we are still conducting extensive searches and appealing for any information from the public.

The student, who is originally from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, was last seen on Thursday 31 January when she got a taxi to take her home from a nightclub.

Police say she was dropped off near her home at 11.29pm and was seen about 10 minutes later near a bench on Beverley Road where a motorist stopped to offer help.

It is believed CCTV footage is being examined which shows a man getting in and out of a car minutes after Libby was last seen.

The footage appears to show a man sitting with his legs out of the driver’s side door of a parked vehicle in Hull close to where Libby, a philosophy student, is believed to have vanished.

The man is seen leaving the car and a minute and a half later a man is seen opening the front passenger door and moving around before getting behind the wheel and driving away at about 12.09am on 1 February.

A JustGiving page set up to help them has since raised more than £3,000.

Craig Hopkins, who set up the page, wrote: Libby’s parents obviously have a tremendous amount to deal with at this time and the last additional problem they need is any financial concerns, especially as their daughter is a student in Hull, which is a considerable distance from the family home in Buckinghamshire.

Even if you can only spare a few pounds, please do so, as all money raised will be sent to Libby’s parents to assist them financially at this emotionally challenging time.

(c) Sky News 2019: Man, 24, arrested over Libby Squire disappearance ‘remains under investigation’