Cuts to a team that helps disabled children on the Isle of Wight will not affect the services, says the Isle of Wight Council.

As reported by Isle of Wight Radio, the local authority hoping to save £150,000 through what it is calling a ‘restructure’ of the Isle of Wight’s Disabled Children’s Intervention Team.

It is part of the council’s 2019/20 budget proposal, which Cabinet Members voted to support last night (Thursday).

A final decision on that budget will be made at a Full Council meeting on 27 February.

Yesterday evening, the Isle of Wight’s Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, Councillor Paul Brading insisted, if given the green light, the cuts would not affect front line services.

This was echoed by the Deputy Leader of the Isle of Wight Council, Councillor Stuart Hutchinson, who told Isle of Wight Radio:

“The analysis that Councillor Brading has done gives us confidence in being able to say that we don’t expect impact on services as a result of that change.

“It’s a small proportion in the total of money spent on education.”

Previously, the local authority said it aimed to keep redundancies to a minimum.

Speaking on possible job losses last night, Councillor Hutchinson said:

“We’re not saying that we’re cutting more jobs out than are already there, but we need creator coordination so we can achieve a better result from the same service.”