Ryde’s Co-Operative store has been evacuated this afternoon (Thursday) while fire crews deal with a blaze.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service says one appliance was called to the shop, just off Ryde High Street, at around 4.20pm.

A “small fire” broke out in the stairwell, according to a fire service spokesperson.

They say the fire has now been put out. However, firefighters remain at the incident to “clear the smoke” from the building.

*Updated 5.10pm

*Fire crews have now left the incident.