North Street Playground, Ventnor.

There are doubts over whether swings in a popular Ventnor playground will be returned before the start of the summer holidays, despite the Isle of Wight Council previously promising they would be.

The local authority says it is “seeking assurances” from the company that provides the new equipment and is currently awaiting a reply.

As previously reported by Isle of Wight Radio, the council removed the swings in April due to safety concerns.

It claimed they would not be replaced but then performed a u-turn the following month, saying they would be re-installed in time for the holidays this coming Monday (22).

The council said it “understands and sympathises” with the concerns of local residents:

“The swings were ordered straight after our meeting with the town council and local community earlier this year and with the intention of having them back in place as soon as possible and before the summer holidays.

“We have been doing our utmost to achieve this on behalf of the residents.”

Ventnor residents have previously petitioned, held public meetings, and formed a community group – called the Longdown Residents’ Association – in order to get the swings back.

They have now vowed to organise a community picnic – which could turn into a protest, if they are not returned.

Chair of the group, Councillor Leigh Geddes, said:

“The removal of the swings without notice by the Isle of Wight Council earlier this year alarmed us all and brought back the spectre of losing the playground.

“We have been promised that the swings will be back very shortly, but we know that equipment wears out and we can’t rely on our local authority to replace it, let alone upgrade it to modern standards.”

Residents are due to meet at the playground, based on North Street, on 20 July at 1pm.

Local Mother Tanya has raised her concerns with Isle of Wight Radio: