Over 5,000 Islanders have now taken part in MP Bob Seely’s survey and petition on Island Plan proposals to build thousands of houses – many on greenfield sites – on the Isle of Wight over the next 15 years.

Bob Seely said:

“THANK YOU TO ISLANDERS OF ALL AGES WHO HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO EXPRESS A VIEW. IT’S IMPORTANT THAT AS MANY ISLANDERS AS POSSIBLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY THINK.

“THE MORE WE MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD THE BETTER. I AM ASKING ALL ISLANDERS TO TAKE PART IN THE SURVEY.”

The majority of Islanders who have responded have opposed the plans and support his campaign.

Mr Seely is continuing his tour of the Island to raise awareness of the Island Planning
Strategy – the so-called Island Plan – with more meetings planned.

In the next month, he plans to meet with residents in Sandown, Newport and Rookley to highlight the volume of houses planned to be built in their areas.

He has already met with over 500 residents across the Island in Wellow, Bembridge,
Brading, East Cowes, Ryde, Seaview and Nettlestone.

He said:

“The meetings I have held so far have been well attended. It’s clear from the residents I’ve spoken with that many of us are concerned about the volume and type of housing being planned for the Island. We need one-and two-bed homes for Islanders young and old. Developers want to build three and four-bed. most of the affordable homes aren’t even affordable.

“The plan proposes 9,600 new homes be built over the next 15 years across the Island,
many on greenfield sites. This is too much.

“The houses are not being built in the right places and they are not being built for islanders. We need a lower target, housing for Islanders and we need to protect our quality of life and landscape.”

The next meeting takes place on Thursday 22 August at the Broadway Centre in Sandown.

Alternatively, residents can write to the MP with their concerns or their local councillor.

The survey and petition against the housing targets can be found here.