A new report, outlining plans to tackle surplus school places in the West Wight, will be published by the Isle of Wight Council next month (October).

Councilor Paul Brading, Cabinet member in charge of Children Services and Education, revealed the news at a meeting of the Isle of Wight Council’s Cabinet tonight (Thursday).

He told members that a further consultation will “probably” happen in order to get the decision “right.”

The local authority has previously put forward plans to shut Freshwater’s All Saints Primary and relocate pupils to Yarmouth CE.

It would then move the whole school back to the All Saints site a year on, following “extensive” refurbishment.

Plans were voted through in July, and a public notice of the decision was issued. However, that was later withdrawn after the council received a judicial review.

Councillor Brading told Isle of Wight Radio that the “review” of plans was necessary:

“We took the proposals off the table at that time to give us a review of where we were. The decision that we bring to Cabinet in October will be the decision that we have made to achieve our aims.

“We will probably have to do another consultation and then do another public notice after that. The key thing is to get it right and above all to what’s right for the children.” 

A report will be presented at a Cabinet meeting on 10 October.