Yarmouth C E Primary School will relocate to Freshwater next year, paving the way for the closure of All Saints Primary this August.

The governing body of Yarmouth C E confirmed the news this morning (Tuesday).

It comes after Isle of Wight councillors last week voted to shut Freshwater’s All Saints, subject to Yarmouth governors agreeing to move the school to the All Saints site from the start of the academic year 2021/22.

WATCH: Chair Carla Bradshaw announces the governing body’s decision.

Following a consultation period, the Federation of the Church Schools of Shalfleet and Yarmouth has now approved that decision.

In a statement it said:

“The Governing Body took, last night, the unanimous decision to take the opportunity to move Yarmouth CE Primary School to Freshwater in September 2021.”

“We believe that securing the future of our high-quality staff team will enable them to deliver excellent, stable education for all pupils now and in the future in this new location.”

“It is closer to where most of our children live. And, because our decision is conditional upon the investment in a new building being confirmed, we are confident that future pupils will be taught in a school that is fully fit for purpose for learning in the 21st century.”

“We now look forward to working with the Local Authority, the Diocese, staff, parents/carers and other interested parties on an appropriate transition process to make this a positive experience for all, but most importantly the children who are at the centre of all we do.”

In a bid to tackle surplus school places in the West Wight, the local authority says it will close All Saints from 31 August 2020.

Councillor Paul Brading, the man in charge of plans, told Isle of Wight Radio that two implementation groups – made up of governors, staff, and council officers – will now be formed.

The decision to move the school is subject to the sign off of government investment
or an equivalent substantial Local Authority Capital Grant to ensure the premises are fit for purpose.

Councillor Brading says talks are “ongoing” to secure money to refurbish the Freshwater site:

“The process is ongoing. The money was allocated under the priority schools building programme a couple of years ago. It’s more the case of what not if. We worked on designs and initially we were looking at a one and a half million pound refurbishment of the site.

“Because of what will now happen, we have managed to talk that up to in excess of five and a half million pound, 95% rebuild of the school. It’s a set D of E process we have to follow… and this will be another fantastic facility fit for the 21st century.”

Councillor Brading says there is a possibility All Saints pupils could remain at the Freshwater site whilst work gets carried out, if deemed safe.