Photo from Parliament TV.

More than 150 new Hampshire Constabulary officers are set to be recruited as part of government investment plans.

Isle of Wight MP Bob Seely quizzed Minister of State for the Home Office, Kit Malthouse, yesterday (Monday).

He asked how many additional officers the Island could expect.

It comes following a commitment made by government last year, promising the recruitment of 20,000 additional police officers.

In his response, Minister of State for the Home Office, Kit Malthouse, said:

“Hampshire will receive up to £366.5 million of funding next year – an increase of up to £26.1 million on the previous year.

“In this year alone the county will benefit from 156 more police officers.”

Mr Malthouse said 156 officers would be recruited in the Hampshire region.

He said he hoped the increase would allow the force to spend more time on the sort of crime that does not always ‘make the headlines’, yet causes consternation in communities.

Mr Seely said:

“I welcome the increase of 156 more police officers for Hampshire Constabulary, which covers the Isle of Wight.

“I hope that this news will help to give peace of mind to residents that we will see more police on our streets.”